North Central Land Grant College and Universities
The Land Grant schools are federally designated special mission institutions dedicated to developing applied research and outreach systems to meet the needs of local communities. Originally established in 1862, the Land Grant system has been expanded three times, resulting in four categories of Land Grants. In 1890, legislation included historically black colleges and universities. In 1994, the system was expanded to include certain tribal colleges. In 2008, federally designated Hispanic colleges were added.
Click on the links located to the left to obtain more information about institutions in each of the four Land Grant categories: 1862, 1890, 1994 and Federally Designated Hispanic Serving.